This one is super tasty and I personally would finish it with a bit of Hot Rhuby Chilli Jam but then again it goes with every meal
- Olive oil for frying
- 3 leeks, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150g British free-range smoked bacon lardons (substitute mushrooms or aubergine bacon to make it vegan)
- 250g pearl barley
- 1 litre good quality chicken/vegetable stock
- 200g chopped curly kale
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche/vegan alternative
- Juice 1 lemon
- Finely chopped three cornered leek
- Heat a glug of oil in a large, deep frying pan and add the leeks
- Fry for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic, half the bacon lardons and the pearl barley
- Gently fry for a further 2-3 minutes, then slowly start to add the chicken stock.
- As the pearl barley absorbs the stock, keep slowly adding more. When three quarters of the stock has been added (this will take 15-20 minutes), pour in the remaining stock, then gently simmer until the barley is cooked (another 10-15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a small frying pan, heat a little oil and the remaining lardons, fry until crisp, then set aside. Stir the kale into the barley in batches and simmer for a few minutes.
- Season to taste, stir in the crème fraîche and lemon juice, then serve sprinkled with three cornered leeks.
Are you going to give this one a go?